Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Goats, nibbling away at poverty - no kidding!

I have been saving my virtual money for some time now. At first I thought I would save until I had enough to travel but decided that by the time I saved that much - I would be too old to fly. And I have decided that money goes a lot farther and does much more good in other parts of the world. I had recently contributed a poem to an anthology being sold to raise money to buy goats for impoverished families. This not only provides a source of milk and cheese but the goats rapidly multiply, giving the family an income. I suppose the reason I have been so taken with the idea of buying goats is that I had once considered buying a small piece of land myself -  for growing a garden and raising some animals. After some research, I decided that goats were more practical to raise than cows. That idea never worked out for me, but I can be a part of helping it work out for someone else - and so that is how I spent my virtual money. Instead of buying a goat myself, I have donated it to a fund and now there will be a pair of goats purchased not just one - which leads to more goats. When I get depressed I think about these goats, and it makes me feel very glad indeed. You can find out more about goats and many other needful things - from packets of seeds to trees, from bars of soap to mosquito nets, and school desks to houses, and yes - goats, by clicking on the Oxfam link on this page. If you would like to buy a poetry book, you can get one at this link....

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/The-Best-of-the-Poets-Plunder-gift-Box/1745094


http://www.oxfam.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment