Monday, January 24, 2011

Thoughts On Thoughts and some words on the passing of Sargent Shriver

A few words on the power of positive. I won't even say positive thinking because my actual thoughts in recent days have not always been so much positive thoughts as they are spoken of in the positive motivational books. They have not been a repetition of positive affirmations. What I have been doing is trying to find these rays of hope. Words of encouragement that go beyond telling people what a great job they are doing (and they are) or how important they are in my life (and they are) to this simple act of searching for good news to pass along. No, I don't write a lot of original content - mostly because I think it has been said well enough already and I want the attention on the story being cited. And I want the source I got it from to have the credit, because that is where it belongs. But this small,  seemingly insignificant thing happened to me and I just want to share it because I think if you look at your own life through this particular lens, you will find that good things do happen - when you fix your mind on good and positive things. They may be small, but its the small things that add up and get us down sometimes and it can be the accumulation of small things that bring us up as well.

For some time, I have been dealing with an aging vehicle that is in the chronic state of repair. For the last year I have had a problem that required me to disconnect the battery at times to get everything to shut off. That problem has gotten worse and worse till now it is constant. I had reached the point of accepting that the repair had to be made, and ordered the parts. At first the part could not be found, then a used one was found and then lastly a way was found to just disconnect the offending part and it won't cost much at all. Now I had actually asked about this option before and been told it could not be done. Is it really a coincidence that when I was thinking about my problems and how hopeless they were that what I got was hopeless answers and then once I accepted the "bad news" and just moved on and kept my mind on what good news I could find and trying to uplift other people - my own problems melted away and the simple (and inexpensive) answers appeared? I'm not sure but it sure didn't hurt!

 Let's face it. Not all news is good and there are times when even being as positive as we know how to be, some things do sadden us. But here is the thing. Accepting that sadness and then moving on and finding the light in the darkness is what life is all about. I was sad, for instance, to hear that Sargent Shriver had died, but then I thought about that for a minute. He was 95 years old and had Alzheimer's. He had lived a full life - one of service, and his works lives on. Even in his death, he was serving his fellow man, by drawing attention to this disease. Knowing as I do that life continues even when this body passes away, perhaps I should be glad that he truly is now in a better place. I give thanks for the life he led and the example he gave us all. He and his wife were both true givers who left a legacy of hope. All of the important things about this man - remain with us. I was touched by the video of Bono's performance at the funeral. Sometimes there is more power to be had in simple things and this performance was that. Simple, sincere and very moving. And that's what it is about isn't it? Living life - sincerely.  You don't need me to give you this link – it has been widely published – but here it is
anyway.

Song from Bono  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf14XBbcVZg

Tribute by Maria Shriver http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ral11VD-5kA&NR=1&feature=fvwp

No comments:

Post a Comment